Sunday, November 20, 2011

Day One

Well, I'm still being showered with kisses from my insisting mother, but needless to say I'm just about ready to go. I finally decided to start a blog, and I'll probably be horrible at keeping it up to date but I'm going to try my best. And after creating a pretty lame name for the blog and a cheesy (yet fitting) background for all to enjoy... here it is.

I'll be getting on the boat in a few hours and then my journey will have officially begun. After what seems will be a rough boat ride I have a two hour bus ride up to Boston, where I'll spend the night in an overpriced hotel, although the convenience will be worth it in the morning when I'm getting the shuttle to the airport at 5:30 am. When I get to Boston I'll be seeing some old friends, and the last familiar faces for a very long time.

Everyone keeps asking if I'm nervous, but I can't really say that I am. What is there to be scared about really? I get on some planes, and when I get off there is someone with my name on a card at the airport, and they take me to a guesthouse (with A/C, hot water, and cable - fit for a king) where I stay for one night. The next day, someone comes to my door, and I get in their tuk tuk and they take me to the apartment that I'll be living in for the next three months, seems pretty simple, although I'm sure there will be plenty of bumps along the way.

And for anyone reading who doesn't know why the hell I'm going to this strange place on my own, here it is. I'm going to be living in the capital of Cambodia, Phnom Penh for thirteen weeks where I'm going to teach English. I'll be teaching students that are paying for these classes as supplements to their regular schooling, so they'll be university age and older. I can't really tell you why I decided to go to Cambodia, but it just seemed to stick out in my mind as the thing to do, and teaching was a means to and end, so to speak. And after a friend of mine made it to and from Vietnam successfully through this same program (www.globalvolunteernetwork.org), I found my way to go. And now, after a few months of planning, I'm on my way to Cambodia, the daunting part? It is now Sunday morning and I won't arrive to my final destination of the apartment until Wednesday...

Until then

3 comments: